Board meeting minutes September 2019




Present: Mark Bamford, Marylou Anderson, Steve Williamson, Graeme Nimmo, David Blair, Inge Boss, Rob Borruso
Apologies Mick Eyre, Fiona Hamilton

Kilfinan Community Forest Company
Minutes of Meeting held
Thursday, 5th September 2019


Minutes of Previous Meeting
Proposed: MB
Seconded: IB


Health & Safety

ME to prioritise finishing touches of playpark and ensuring signing off so that Official Opening can be organised. Herris fencing to be placed round well outside allotment area.

GN to liaise with ME IB to liaise with RB

Financial Report
RI attended to explain current reporting system and present the latest financial projection.   A breakdown was requested on hydro figures.   Clarity was sought on outstanding invoice from Tilhill. Richard was thanked for coming along.
RI to request report from SIS and produce breakdown.

Sawmill operators presentation
Ji Cunningham, Craig Ward, Steve Wallis attended to present a model of a potential camping pod to make use of the waste wood from the sawmill.  It was suggested setting up a building sub-group.  Possible investment could be sought from a variety of sources for either loan or grant.
JC, CW and SW to produce costings. DB to organise a subgroup meeting

Website
Ed Pybus has created a new website.  MA presented it for comment.  Maps of paths and walks, What’s On/Events,  Accommodation, Feedback, Training Opportunities    Consider choice of font to follow existing style.   Drop-down menus under main heading.   What’s there for Children.  Rolling gallery,  Counter – hit counter for each page.   The Board thanked Ed for his work on the website.  Staff email addresses to be created.
ML feedback the responses to Ed.

Crofts
Four new applications have been looked at with another one expected.  It will take 18 months to register the crofts.  The prospective crofters will be invited to a meeting to discuss expectations.
ME to be asked to organise a meeting.

Replanting
Weevil patrol is going well.  ME found a source of funding from Future Scotland which enables input from an academic.  Anna Lawrence from UHI is keen to work with KCFC.  Chris Marsh (Community Woodlands) is visiting 26th September to give advice.
MA/ME continue to look into grant and create a plan to support natural regeneration.

InspirAlba
Jo Slater had visited and is asking what help our organisation wants and is offering to come and run a workshop.
To be considered at next meeting

Future workshop possibilities
There was discussion about providing small workspaces for local businesses. Having a ‘light’ industrial estate is a good idea for the local economy.  It was decided that uncertainty over road access made future developments uncertain.  Planning requirements need to be clarified. 
MB to contact Steven Gove to discuss planning requirements.

Forest Operations Manager’s report
Hydro is working well and the over-heating solutions have been successful.  Servicing engineer suggest that changes to regulations may fix over-sensitivity to grid fluctuations.  He is due to clean the pipe next week.
One commercial gardener is already charging his customers and paying for composting facility. He also has a client with large amount of rhoddie that will need to be chipped on site as our composting facility can’t cope. 
Forest Centre continues to progress with S Wallis focusing on the more complex joinery required.
Hot Polytunnel is functioning well, little and often feeding for the boiler.   Leasee has been asked to provide a list of what he considers is required to render the facility fit for handover.
Sawmill is working well.  Ji to be the single point of contact for orders and pricing.

Forest Access Coordinator’s Report
ACT have accessed funding for another Branching Out course and 20 weeks’ worth of Twigging Out to be split between Cowal and Bute.
Youth Skills Programme – planning and publicity is underway for residential course during second week of October holiday
Volunteering – there may be a volunteer available for whole month of October.  Rhodie clearing and path maintenance will be prioritised and other volunteers sought to join in.
Funding application to be submitted to Robertson Trust next week.
Just Enterprise Business Support.  ME has met with Jo Slater and followed up with information for her.  Her input would be to identify funding streams and analyse our current business.
Heal Scotland have been in touch (Julia) and working on a business plan and accommodation requirements.  More information to follow.
Crofts – four more plans have been submitted and ME has drawn a map showing suggested allocation.  Others who have expressed interest are yet to submit plans. ME will start registration process once Board has made a decision.
Community Land Week event attracted 50-60 attendees despite rain and midgies.  Thanks to all who helped.

ME to ask Heal Scotland to provide us with timescales and more detailed plan.

Future Structure
Discussion was had about separating into two entities – a Community Interest Company and a Charity and how this might affect current staff structure. Staff to be consulted about their current roles and how they see them developing.  To be discussed at future meeting.

DONM Wednesday 2nd October.   5 pm