A vital and valued part of the forest network.
Volunteering has been a core part of KCFC’s since the
project began, KCFC has only succeeded because of the dedication and hard work of members of the
local community who have served as the volunteer board members.
Volunteers, supported by paid staff, have been an instrumental in creating the infrastructure of the forest: clearing invasive species, planting tree and creating and maintaining paths, bridges and playpark as well as specific projects such as taking part in the archaeology survey of the site and building the roundhouse. In 2020 KCFC set up Volunteer Cowal South West (VCSW) to manage KCFC volunteers.
We welcome volunteers at KCFC and if you are interested in getting involved. Despite COVID-19 restrictions there are still opportunities. To volunteer at KCFC contact:
Kilfinan Community Forest
Or email email@example.com
At present we are looking for additional volunteers to help with the community COVID-19 response delivery prescriptions and surplus food.
We are also looking for people to help with clearing rhododendron and planting trees.
We are also keen to hear about other volunteering ideas, whether you have an idea for a new project or need volunteers to help with an existing project please get in touch.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic volunteering opportunities at KCFC are limited however VCSW volunteers are playing a vital role throughout the local community. During the pandemic volunteers are:
- Delivering all the prescriptions from Kyles Medical Practice for PA21;
- Distributing surplus food to those who ask for it in the area of PA21 and the Colglen area;
- Supporting Tighnabruaich Primary School by providing volunteers for various projects during the pandemic such as helping with midge jackets and building compost toilets & shelters to support out door schooling; and
- Producing a community newsletter.
Volunteer Cowal South West
In 2020 KCFC set up Volunteer Cowal South West (VCSW) to manage KCFC volunteers and look at other opportunities for volunteering in the community. VCSW’s role is to:
- To create a database of volunteers;
- To provide leadership, people care, provision of tools and personal protective clothing and equipment (PPE) for Volunteers;
- Facilitate volunteers having a safe and rewarding experience connecting with others and the environment;
- To create a volunteer network to connect volunteers with volunteering opportunities;
- To mobilize a group of volunteers or individuals for regular work, one off events, or for emergency incidents; and
- To celebrate the groups successes.
VCSW are also producing a regular newsletter, the aim of this newsletter is to;
- Raise the public profile and share news about Kilfinan Community Forest;
- Support the local community during current pandemic with information and stories;
- Encourage community cohesion; and
- Promote volunteering opportunities and community